News & Announcements Archives | The Lafete Magazine
close

News & Announcements

News & Announcements

Breaking! Micheal Ojo, Nigerian Basketball Player, Dies Of Heart Attack

A Serbian based Nigerian basketball player, Michael Ojo, on Friday, died of a heart attack.
Ojo, who previously played for Red Star Belgrade, died at the age of 27 during a training session in the Serbian capital on Friday, the club said.


The club wrote: “We are deeply saddened by the news”, Red Star’s spokesperson Igor Vujicin told AFP.
The club couldn’t confirm the cause of death, but local media reported that Ojo suffered a heart attack.


Ojo was born in Lagos, the 2.16 metre (7ft 1in) centre played for Florida State University in the United States before coming to Europe to start his professional career.
After a stint with the Belgrade team FMP Zeleznik, he moved to European giants Red Star, where he spent two seasons, quickly becoming a fan favourite.


Ojo had been without a club since June 30 but was still training with Red Star.
But his former team released a statement mourning the loss of the “cheerful giant”.
“The sudden and shocking death of Michael Ojo has deeply affected everyone — players, coaches and the management of a club that accepted him from the first day, and that he considered his own,” Red Star said.
EuroLeague also extended condolences to Ojo’s family, teammates, coaches, “and many fans who enjoyed his performances”.

read more
News & Announcements

China Sentences Fourth Canadian To Death For Transporting Drugs

A Chinese court said on Friday it had sentenced a Canadian to death for transporting and manufacturing drugs, the second Canadian in two days to receive a death penalty for drugs and fourth since Canada detained a top Huawei executive in 2018.

According to Associated Press, relations between China and Canada deteriorated sharply after Canadian police detained Huawei Technologies Co Ltd chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver on a warrant from the United States.

Asked if the sentencing of the Canadian drug offenders was linked to Meng’s case, China’s foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told a briefing on Friday that China’s judicial organs “handle cases independently”, while also adding that “the Canadian side knows the root cause” of difficulties in China-Canadian relations.

Ye Jianhui, a Canadian national, was sentenced after a trial in the southern city of Foshan, the Foshan Intermediate People’s Court said in a notice on its website.

Police found 218 kilograms (481 pounds) of white crystals containing MDMA, commonly known as ecstasy, in the room used by Ye and five other men, according to a local media report.

Of the other five men, all Chinese nationals, one was sentenced to death, while the rest were given jail sentences ranging from seven years to life, according to the court notice.

The sentencing of Ye and his accomplices came just one day after another Chinese court sentenced Canadian Xu Weihong to death for making drugs.

China last year sentenced Canadians Robert Lloyd Schellenberg and Fan Wei to death on drug charges in separate cases. Both men have lodged appeals.

“Canada requests clemency for all Canadian citizens who have been sentenced to death, and calls on China to grant clemency to Mr. Xu.” said the Canadian foreign ministry spokesman John Babcock when asked about Xu.

China-Canada relations quickly soured after Meng’s arrest.

Two other Canadian men – businessman Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig, a former diplomat – were detained in China days after Meng’s arrest, and were charged in June 2020 with espionage.

China has denied that their arrest was linked to Meng’s case.

read more
News & Announcements

How State Govt Are Helping Fulani Herders To Kill Us – Kaduna Nigeria Resident

After suspected Fulani herders once again attacked and killed more than 20 persons in four Southern Kaduna villages on Wednesday, a resident of Kibori, one of the villages, who spoke to our correspondent in Lagos said it was obvious that the Kaduna State Government under Nasir el-Rufai is fully behind the dastardly activities of the suspected Fulani herders.


The resident, Jacob Garba, while relaying previous Killings in his Community which necessitated his relocation to the Nigerian commercial capital, said security agents deployed to the area are aiding the herdsmen to kill their people.
He said: “Let me tell you, in the past year, I have lost seven family members in these Killings.


“There are some homes you cannot see even one person standing.
“In the last attack that brought me to Lagos before the lockdown, we were sleeping in the night when these herdsmen came.
“I was awake reading a newspaper and I heard a shout from a neighbor’s house and before I peep from the keyhole, there was a heavy knock on the door and I knew who they were because that was not the first or second.
“I have previously lost my younger sister and an elder brother in the same attack.
“They broke our door and started shooting even without seeing anybody. In that situation, my father was killed, and also my cousin staying with us.
“There is a curfew in my place but where are the security agents whenever these people come?
“Whenever the youths will want to form a group to keep awake, police will come and arrest us.
“On several occasions, they have arrested us just because we try to secure our communities.
“On many occasions, the Fulani people will come down and burn almost the entire village.


“We have always had crisis there but since el-Rufai came as governor, they kill and any form of retaliation will meet with resistance from the government security agents.
“It is that bad and that is why I have to relocate with my remaining one sister and brother to Lagos,” said Garba who formerly worked as a banker before his ordeal.
Meanwhile, on Wednesday, the gun welding suspected herders killed 21 people during attacks on four Kaduna State villages, the Police confirmed on Thursday
An unspecified number of houses were burnt by the marauders, including one belonging to a dead colonel.

Police spokesman Muhammad Jalige said three people were injured.

The attacks were followed by the killings that have been going on in the southern part of the state.
The Southern Kaduna Peoples Union (SOKAPU) disagreed with the police on the figure of the dead and on the number of villages attacked.

“Prior to now, they were all shut down with fierce armed military men patrolling and enforcing the 24-hour curfew. But when the gunmen struck, they were not on the ground.

“Four Atyap youths from Majuju and Kibori villages who went to farm under the curfew were arrested by soldiers after being thoroughly beaten and handed over to the police who whisked them to SCID, Kaduna. They have been denied bail since 26th June 2020.
“Last night (Wednesday), around 11 pm, truck-loads of armed Fulani militia made their way through military checkpoints under the curfew and stormed Apiashyim and Kibori villages. They laid siege to Apyaishyim, killing, looting, and burning houses. In the wake of the cruelty, they left six people dead, and 20 houses burnt.

“In nearby Kibori village, seven persons were killed by the marauding, pampered Fulani militia.

“Around 12 am, they struck Atakmawei sleeping community and carried out another carnage after which 12  persons were killed and 10 houses burnt.

Just like Garba, SOKAPU accused Governor Nasir El-Rufai of “tying up our law-abiding people under an irrational, protracted curfew which is obviously intended to cause maximum harm to our communities.”

“By the time they were done, 22 bodies were recovered at about 12 pm today (Thursday) but we are still conducting searches. They also burnt several houses.”

read more
News & Announcements

Breaking! COVID-19: Nigeria Extends Eased Lockdown For Four Weeks


The Federal Government of Nigeria has announced an extension of the second phase of the Coronavirus eased lockdown for another four weeks.
The extension is the third for the second phase

Boss Mustapha, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced this during the Task Force briefing in Abuja on Thursday evening.

He said the action became necessary for the government and relevant agencies to fully monitor situations before total easing of the country.The phased easing of the lockdown means that some activities will still face restriction, even as only exit students are allowed into schools.

read more
News & Announcements

Breaking! Bad Governance: Army, Police Arrest Over 40 Protesters In Abuja

We can report that the Abuja, Nigeria protest against bad governance by a popular human rights group, #RevolutionNow, is turning chaotic and relatively bloody as combined men of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the police have arrested not less than forty of the protesters, with unconfirmed report alleging that a good number of them have also sustained various degrees of injuries from brutality.


According to information, police and army in a convoy of over 30 vehicles were seen arresting and maltreating the protesters at their meeting points, the Unity Fountain and Transcorp Junction in the Nigerian capital.
However, leader of the #RevolutionNow and publisher of popular online medium, SaharaReporters, Omoyele Sowore, was noticeably absent at the protest venue.

As at the time of this report, members of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the police are seen patrolling the whole place, while a good number of the protesters have been whisked away.
Nigeria, it will be recalled, has been under siege from terrorists, kidnappers, bandits and armed Robbers, with the last five years witnessing astronomical increase in the menaces. 


Also, the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) has shown nepotism and one-sided anti-corruption fight with members of the opposition being hounded daily by the security agencies, while airing of opinion particularly on the bad Governance in the country will be met with arrest by the Department of State Service (DSS), among other poor governance indices in the country.

read more
News & Announcements

Insecurity: Nigerian President, Governors, Service Chiefs In Crucial Meeting

Due to escalating security breaches in Nigeria, which has claimed hundreds of lives in the past one month, the country’s president, Muhammadu Buhari, is by now in a crucial meeting with the service chiefs, the state governors as well as the vice president, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
Also in the meeting are the president’s chief of staff, Professor Ibrahim Gambari, Secretary to the Federal Government, Boss Mustapha, National Security Adviser, retired Major General Babagana Monguno.

The Service Chiefs in attendance include the Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Olonisakin, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok Ekwe Ibas, and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar. 
Also present are the Inspector General of Police, IGP Mohammed Adamu, the Director-General of National, Department of State Services, DSS, Yusuf Bichi, the Director-General, National Intelligence Agency, NIA, Ahmed Rufa’i, and the Directorate of Military Intelligence. 
Some of the Ministers are the Attorney-General of the Federation, AGF, and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, the Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, the Minister of Police Affairs, Mohammad Dingyadi, and the Minister of State, Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Zubairu Dada. 
Some security experts are expected to make presentations at the meeting. 
It was reliably gathered that representatives of Nigeria Governors Forum, NGF, will be meeting with the President and Service Chiefs later today.
The meeting between the President and the governors is not unconnected with recent attacks on the Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum by suspected terrorists.

read more
News & Announcements

Nigerian Ruling, Opposition Parties Trade Words Over $2bn, $460m China Loan, CCTV Project

As part of corruption’allegations rocking the Nigerian Political space, the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) have continued to trade words.
The PDP on Monday berated the APC over allegation of failed $460 million Abuja Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) Project and $2 billion China Loan. 
APC reacted to the statement issued by the former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, PDP chieftain, on the standard sovereign guarantee and sovereign immunity clause embedded in Nigeria’s loan agreements with China to fund the ongoing national railway projects, describing it as unresearched, unintelligent and pedestrian.


The Nigerian ruling party, in a statement by its Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Yekini Nabena said that Atiku and PDP could redirect their energies to explaining to Nigerians the status of the failed $460 million Abuja CCTV awarded in August 2010 by the immediate-past PDP administration. 
The APC also told the PDP to explain the over $2 billion China loan the PDP administration took between 2010 and 2013 alone; $16billion spent on power with no electricity; fuel subsidy rackets; counter-insurgency funds that were diverted and shared to political cronies among other shocking heists.


Reacting to APC allegations, the PDP spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan said that rather than engaging in baseless counter allegations, Nigerians expect the APC and its government to first respond to revelations that they have mortgaged the sovereignty of the nation for their selfish benefits. 
“They must also respond to the demand by Nigerians to prosecute the officials already indicted by President Buhari.


“Until they do so, the APC and its government should hide their faces in shame and await the judgment of Nigerians in 2023,” the party said.
The party further said: “Five years in the saddle, we are where we are. The APC that came with the mantra of fighting corruption has since become the most corrupt party in the history of Nigeria.


“Where is the N800 billion they claimed to have recovered? Nigerians know that the so-called recovered monies have since been re-looted by those shouting war against corruption. This government has failed by all standards and they know it.
“The PDP advises the federal government to immediately begin the investigation of its officials and highly-placed members of the APC alleged to have soiled their hands, with a view to bringing them to book.


“Until they do this, the APC and the government it formed at the centre should keep their peace because Nigerians are now wiser than their needless propaganda.”
The PDP said the attempt by the APC to trivialize the mortgaging of the nation by raising frivolous allegations against the PDP, validates APC’s complicity in the pawning of the country to foreign interests.
The party holds that APC’s jaundiced reaction to the attempt to send future generation of Nigerians to China on slavery shows that the APC is anti-people and has no remorse for the wrongdoing of its leaders and government. 

“Our party takes exception to the purported challenge by the APC and we counsel the APC to first give account of the N800 billion it claimed to have recovered, as Nigerians have regrettably come to discover that the APC thrives on fraud and corruption.
“Perhaps the APC leaders, in their deceptive posturing, failed to note that President Muhammadu Buhari had already told the world that his officials swim in ocean of corruption.


“The PDP therefore awaits the further reaction of President Buhari to our demand that he stops providing official cover for these corrupt members of his party and government,” the party said.

read more
News & Announcements

FIFA Defends Infantino Over Alleged Criminal Wrongdoing

FIFA have denied any involvement in criminal wrongdoing on the part of President Gianni Infantino. Recall that prosecutors in Switzerland have launched legal proceedings against Infantino over a meeting with Swiss attorney general Michael Lauber. Both men have denied any wrongdoing.

“There was and is absolutely no reason to open any investigation because nothing remotely criminal has happened and there is nothing at all to suggest any form of criminal wrongdoing,” FIFA said in a statement on Sunday.

“FIFA is convinced that at the end of the current investigation will be confirmed that the FIFA president did not do anything wrong by performing his fiduciary duties and meeting the attorney general of Switzerland.”

It will also be recalled that a court recently concluded that Lauber had both failed to declare a meeting with Infantino and misled overseers while he himself investigated corruption allegations that in part saw former president Sepp Blatter resigned in 2015.

Special prosecutor Stefan Keller, who was brought in earlier this month to investigate criminal complaints against Lauber and Infantino, believes he has found indications that a meeting between the two may have constituted or led to criminal conduct.

The meeting in question took place at a hotel in Bern back in 2017, their third in a 15-month period, and Keller found evidence that offenses could include but are not limited to abuse of public office, breach of official secrecy, “assisting offenders” and “incitement to these acts.”

read more
News & Announcements

Co-Inventor Of Computer Mouse, William English, Dies At 91

One of the pioneers of the modern computer interface has passed away: the New York Times reports that William “Bill” English died on July 26th from respiratory failure at the age of 91. Alongside Douglas Englebart at the Stanford Research Institute, English helped develop the first computer mouse and put together a 1968 “ Mother of All Demons” that outlined many concepts that would come to PCs over the decades, such as graphical user interfaces, online text editing, video calls, and hypertext links.

While Englebart was considered the visionary, English was one of the only people who truly grasped the ideas and had the talent to bring them to fruition. He built the mouse after Englebart drew a sketch of it, for example. While Englebart was demonstrating the concepts at that 1968 event, English was orchestrating things behind the scenes.

It’s not hard to see English’s legacy. While touchscreens are increasingly common, many of the other features he and Englebart foresaw would be refined at places like Xerox PARC and find their way into the mainstream, where they still dominate today. In that sense, English could make his presence felt for decades to come.

read more
News & Announcements

South African Retail Giant, Shoprite, Joins Partners To Exit Nigeria

After the exit of Mr. Price recently from Nigeria after Woolworths did the same six years ago, Shoprite, arguably Africa’s biggest grocery retailer, will be taking an exit from Nigeria any moment from now.
This is according to a statement from the firm, which indicated that it will be ceasing its operation from Nigeria after 15 years.

The Cape Town-based retailer has started a formal process to consider the potential sale of all or a majority stake in its supermarkets in Nigeria, saying that trading statements for the 52 weeks to end June would be released on Monday (today).
In the statement, Shoprite said the results for the year do not reflect any of their operations in Nigeria as it will be classified as a discontinued operation.
International supermarkets (excluding Nigeria) contributed 11.6% to Shoprite sales and reported a 1.4% decline in sales from 2018. South African operations contributed 78% of overall sales and saw an 8.7% rise for the year.

As a result of lockdown, customer visits declined 7.4% but the average basket shows increased by 18.4%.

read more
1 2 3 10
Page 1 of 10